The United Way of Lackawanna and Wayne Counties has established the Mike Munchak Community Service Scholarship program to assist high school students from Lackawanna, Wayne and Pike Counties (PA) who plan to pursue a post-secondary education. The 2023 recipient will receive a onetime award of $6,300 to commemorate Mike's #63 which he wore throughout this playing days and which was retired by the Houston Oilers in 1996.
To be eligible, candidates must be actively involved in community service activities in programs funded by this United Way, be a full-time resident and/or student of school districts within Lackawanna, Wayne and Pike Counties and accepted by an accredited university, college or trade school, in a two or four year degree program track, for the 2023/24 school year.
Program Eligibility Criteria and Highlights
- The scholarship amount for 2023 is $6,300.00.
- The scholarship will be awarded for a one (1) year period only.
- Open only to graduating seniors within school districts in Lackawanna, Wayne or Pike Counties (PA).
- Demonstrate commitment through community service activities.
- Demonstrate academic achievement.
- Applicants must be graduating seniors from a public, private, parochial or charter school within either of the three counties.
2023 Mike Munchak Scholarship Outline and General Guidelines
2023 Cover Letter
2023 Mike Munchak Scholarship Application (To Download)
2023 Mike Munchak Scholarship Application (To Complete/Submit Online)
Marketing Release Form
United Way Partner Agencies | Wayne County Grantees
All completed application packets must be submitted or postmarked no later than March 31, 2023. Any incomplete packets/submissions will not be considered.
United Way of Lackawanna, Wayne & Pike Counties
Attn: Community Service Scholarship Committee
PO Box 526
Scranton, PA 18501-0526
The scholarship winner will be selected by April 28, 2023. The winner and his/her parents or guardian will be invited to the dinner and auction portion of the Mike Munchak Charity Golf Classic scheduled for June 26, 2023 at the Scranton Country Club. The formal presentation of the scholarship will take place at that time when the winner will meet Mike and have photos taken together. Please contact Frank Kincel at the United Way - 570-343-1267 ext 233 with any questions pertaining to the program outline or the application. United Way staff, board members and their immediate families, the Scholarship Selection Committee and their immediate families are not eligible to apply.
$69,300 AWARDED IN THE PAST ELEVEN YEARS
- Philip Mosolino, 2012 Graduate of Carbondale Area High School and volunteer with the Greater Carbondale YMCA
- Joseph Gigliotti, 2013 Graduate of Carbondale Area High School and volunteer with the Greater Carbondale YMCA
- Sarah Wagner, 2014 Graduate of Holy Cross High School and volunteer with United Cerebral Palsy of NEPA
- Alison Barrett, 2015 Graduate of Scranton High School and volunteer with St. Joseph's Center and United Way's Youth Day of Caring
- Collin Cooper, 2016 Graduate of Lakeland Jr/Sr High School and volunteer with Meals on Wheels
- Nori Zaccheo, 2017 Graduate of West Scranton High School and volunteer with the American Red Cross
- Erin Barrett, 2018 graduate of Scranton High School and volunteer with St. Joseph's Center and the United Way's Nancy Jackson Memorial Youth Day of Caring
- Claudia Pitts, 2019 graduate of Scranton High School and volunteer with Serving Seniors Inc. and Children's Advocacy Center.
- Nina Sampogne, 2020 graduate of Abington Heights High School and volunteer with Serving Seniors Inc.
- Molly Dougherty, 2021 graduate of West Scranton High School and volunteer with American Red Cross.
- Michael Watkins, 2022 graduate of Scranton Prep High School and volunteer with Boys & Girls Club of NEPA. (Pictured with Mike Munchak)