Transforming Readers is a school-based early grade tutoring program that is utilizing volunteers to assist struggling readers to become proficient readers!
Volunteers work with children one-on-one or in small groups. School staff design the activities the volunteers use during the sessions. The program takes place in an elementary school at a designated time during the school day.
We are currently in need of 10 new volunteers to work in Scranton-based schools during the 2019 spring session. However, we hope to see the program grow throughout the county in the fall. If you are interested in learning more about either of these volunteer opportunities, please call Nancy Post or Diane Brown at the Voluntary Action Center at (570) 347-5616.
- Able to commit to two (2) hours per week for the entire 10 week session
- Access to consistent transportation
- Able to attend a two-hour orientation and training program
- Willingness to apply for state and federal clearances and adhere to school district volunteer requirements
- Comfortable working independently with children
- Interest in the available tutoring times and available locations
- Literate in English with average writing skills (English as a first language is not required).
Responsibilites of Volunteer Tutors
- Complete the volunteer registration and obtain the three (3) required clearances
- Agree to tutor a minimum of two (2) hours per week for a 10 week session (fall/spring)
- Attend a volunteer tutor training session (2 hours), preferably at your assigned school
- Establish a positive working relationship with the student(s)
- Provide positive feedback to the student(s) with suggestions for improvement
- In each tutoring session, cover the lesson plan outlined by your School Coordinator
- Follow the format of a tutoring session as covered at training and in the Program Guide
- Complete the Communication Log at the end of each tutoring session
- Maintain student confidentiality: limit discussion of students' progress to School Coordinator
- Complete the feedback survey at the end of the session
If you are interested in becoming a TR volunteer or want to learn more, please contact Nancy Post or Diane Brown at the Voluntary Action Center (570) 347-5616.
Transforming Readers is graciously sponsored by: